Thirty by Thirty
January 19, 2012 1 Comment
Well, I can’t be this adorable forever. Time to grow up.
A lot of people have bucket lists, or at least talk about the idea of a bucket list. I never wanted to subscribe to this school of thought. However, lately I’ve felt the urge to really live up the last year of my 20s. I’m not dreading 30 next year. Maybe I will when it gets closer, but at the end of the day, age is just a number and I am not going to let a pseudo-milestone get me down. BUT, I will let the pseudo-milestone run my blog and get me to crank out a 30×30 list. I do think it would be fun to live outside of my neat little box from time to time. To learn something new, think about something in a new way, et cetera.
So without further ado, in honor of me turning the big 2-9 today, here is my 30×30 list. Of course, since I only have a year to complete this, I had to be somewhat realistic to make sure it was attainable (you know, affordable and not too time-consuming…).
- Cook 7 days worth of new dinner recipes in a row straight. (I know this doesn’t seem like too much of a task, but trust me…this will be a feat for a busy girl like me!)
- Save $1000…and don’t blow it. Like, actually keep it in the bank for emergencies. (Mexico is NOT an emergency…)
- Drop 50lbs. Self explanatory.
- Tour a brewery. I’m thinking Bells in Michigan.
- Attempt to waterski. I’ve always been a chicken. THIS YEAR BABY!
- Order a steak rare in a restaurant. I hear it’s the best.
- Watch the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I’m bored just thinking about this but I’ve promised this to many, so I will finally do it.
- Learn all the words to Shake That by Eminem and Nate Dogg…and then dazzle the people at karaoke with it. J
- Finally learn to Soulja Boy, er I mean, Dougie. Or maybe the Thriller dance.
- Learn how to butcher a whole chicken. This seems like a great thing to know.
- Watch the entire series of M*A*S*H. Don’t ask.
- Read a “classic” novel. To be determined. Any suggestions?
- Visit a haunted house. With Jenny…that’s the rule. Probably gotta acquire adult diapers before then…
- Try yoga.
- Write a children’s book about Evan. You know, Evan. My nephew. MAYBE you’ve heard me talk about him?
- Ask a guy out. Yeah I know. Terrifying. This one can only happen IF I meet someone worthy of asking out. That doesn’t happen too often.
- Do 10 “regular” push ups. Lame? Maybe. But I can barely do 10 girl push ups. Hopefully when I drop some of those lbs…
- Play with fireworks. I’ve only ever played with sparklers and the pop thingys. I wanna light some fiiiiiiiiiiiiire!
- Tailgate. It’s a travesty I’ve never done this.
- Play blackjack in a casino. This will require leaving the state, as I am not about to play “video” blackjack. I’m thinking Greektown in Detroit…
- Participate in a flash mob.
- Run a 5k. If you know ANYthing about me, you know this is a long shot…but it’s almost like conquering a fear.
- Eat at Fogo de Chao. I’ve never been. Yet another travesty of my life.
- Grow and eat my own vegetables.
- Stay up all night to see the sun rise. (Well, maybe if that date with the dude I ask out goes well….)
- Be on TV. (Go ahead. Laugh.)
- Go to a Rocky Horror Picture Show screening.
- Take a road trip by myself.
- Perfect scrambled eggs. Again, maybe another small feat. But I think this will take me far in life…
- Play flag football.
So there’s my list. Help keep me accountable…please? J
Perhaps I’ll post a blog of some of the rejects I thought or found via the internet (had to get inspired somewhere!) For example…how laughable is this: Kiss someone at midnight on New Year’s Eve. Um, I’ve been working on that for 29 years. How will that change by 30? HA!